Too often employers worry about improving employees’ physically fitness, but ignore the many other components that drive overall well being.
In a survey of employee attitudes, Gallup and Healthways found that other important aspects of people’s lives beyond physical fitness drive wellness. Gallup/Healthways define five measures that are important in a holistic review of employee well-being’ These are:
- Purpose: liking what you do each day and being motivated to achieve your goals
- Social: having supportive relationships and love in your life
- Financial: managing your economic life to reduce stress and increase security
- Community: liking where you live, feeling safe, and having pride in your community
- Physical: having good health and enough energy to get things done daily
Gallup found that employees who are physically fit but not thriving in any of the other areas make up roughly 4% of all US adults. This group misses 68% more work due to poor health and is three times more likely to file for workers’ comp.