To help race organizers who want to host virtual 5ks, we’ve created Racery Sprint, the Virtual 5k Platform.
If you’re looking to check a 5k box so you can ship some medals, we’re probably not for you. If you aim to give participants a rich experience—social and motivational—read on!
Sprint makes it easy for companies and nonprofits to organize turnkey virtual 5ks for staffers and donors. Robust fundraising capabilities are also built into Virtual 5k.
Using a runner or walker’s cellphone, Virtual 5k logs the racer’s distance covered and time elapsed, and then displays the racer on a leaderboard.
In addition to their leader board position, racers will get a personalized virtual bib and finish placard.
What racers experience
- Upon registering, each racer gets a personalized digital bib to print or share on social media.
- Every racer walks/runs a 5k at any location.
- The race’s duration can be fixed at a single hour—say 2-3pm EST on 6/15/20—or open for an entire day or even a full week.
- Each racer logs one run or walk.
- Each participant carries a mobile phone, which times their run and captures their distance.
- When people click “Complete,” Racery posts their results in a leaderboard, with the fastest person on top.
- Each racer’s time and distance is also posted in an activity feed, where it can be liked or commented on by other racers.
- When the event concludes, each participant receives a digital finish award.
- Virtual 5k’s map displays a route customized by the charity.
- To participate, racers create an account on Racery.com’s desktop site and then download Racery’s iPhone or Android app and log in.
What race sponsors experience
- No setup fee.
- Any donations and the charity’s portion of the entry fee flows immediately to its Stripe account. (Register here.)
- Participants can contribute additional amounts when registering.
- Participants also can compete to raise money from friends and neighbors using Racery’s p2p fundraising software.
- Racery charges nothing on donations.
- For a one week race duration, Racery’s fee for each racer is $5. For a single day event, Racery’s fee is $3.
Pros and cons versus Racery Classic
- Shorter distances are less intimidating for some people.
- A 5k maps directly onto the races many nonprofits already origanize, which means less rebranding.
- The distance is short, and participants will cover the entire distance in one go. As a result, they won’t see Google Street Views or get to socialize every day as they log miles.
- Measured distances can vary by more than 10% on all devices using GPS, whether Fitbit or Garmin or iPhone. A straight route with a clear sky view reduces, but does not eliminate, error.
For more information, visit Racery’s features and fees page or launch your own virtual 5k for fundraising or morale-boosting.